Monday 9 September 2013

OPUS JAY: Taipei: OMG Moment #5: MAYDAY!

I was guessing S.H.E.
After all, they're like the most popular female group in Taiwan.

But as usual, His Royal DIAOness was one up on me.
I should have known.
After two nights with female guests, it was time for the guys.
I did think of Mayday, who are, after all THE most popular band in Taiwan and Kings in their own right.
Ashin and Jay have also, arguably, been two of the best songwriters in Taiwan over the past 15 years and Mayday, like Jay, have not lost any of their shine. They are as well-loved as ever and have also gone into forming their own music production company and label, developing new artistes and growing the Chinese music industry.

I like Mayday. I was at their concert in Singapore last year and had an absolutely ROCKING time!
I only got to know them after the Jay-effect got me more into Mandopop and I know the songs from their latest album quite well. As for their earlier hits, my friends love to belt them out at our K-sessions and although I do not know them as well as I know Jay's music, I do enjoy their brand of rock and pop very much too. I also like the fact that they are, like Jay, pretty much homegrown artistes who have earned their chops with their talent and hard work. Plus they are decent guys.
And Ashin was also very supportive of Jay's movie, The Rooftop, when it was released in Taiwan to lacklustre reviews, by providing a shout-out to his fans on his Facebook Page.
I'm sure Jay appreciated that.

Anyway, back to OPUS JAY:

Yup, it was with much pleasure that Jay introduced Mayday for the final show on 8 September and the audience cheered hysterically when it became more and more obvious just who his special guest(s) were!

I tell you, I was keeping watch on my laptop and phone and when I saw the first pic from a Jay Page with the announcement of who the guests were, I practically screamed with joy and jumped out of my chair with a "OMG!!!! It's Mayday!!!!!!", startling my hubby and son (who were in the same room with me).

And then it was the usual wait for more pics, which soon started appearing on my News Feed, which was my cue to start Saving and Sharing on my Page. The vids were a little slower to appear and my eyes were strained beyond belief already, as I had just completed a post for another blog.
So I went to bed, choosing to get some shut-eye, despite being super-excited about this awesome collaboration. I knew that when I got up, the full vids would be available and I could then take my time to watch properly.

And indeed, it was FANTABULOUS watching Jay and Ashin singing together with the rest of the band and thrilling the fans no end!


Jay started off the segment by singing Silence and then eased into one of Mayday's hits, 志明与春桥 zhi ming yu chun qiao, provoking shrieks of recognition from the crowd as the Mayday logo appeared on stage, with the band.

This is a link to a full uncut version of the whole Jay and Mayday performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccMD_pkFpc&feature=youtu.be








 I just love the moment when they hugged each other!



It was probably also a reference to the moment at the GMAs, when Ashin and company had teased Jay about his non-hug with Jolin...lol!
He said that after so many years, he has never been on the same stage as Mayday.
Ashin said it was a win-win situation for everyone tonight.
Jay then introduced the band members and said one song was not enough.

Then it was on to a mashup of Listen To Mama's Words, 干杯 (Mayday's), Fine Day, the ROCKING 离开地球表面 (Mayday's) and Nunchucks.
Gosh, I'm still overwhelmed by these guys' singing together!


 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1UvS0FqjI

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qxBU_fAC5Zk

I'll be spamming this thread with pics, not just because I love these guys but also 'cos I love Jay's outfit! That orange-and-black combo looks absolutely DIAO and I am so thankful the pants are NOT baggy!
Jay and Mayday FTW!










 SUPER LOVE this one!!!


















It must be said that Mayday are probably the only ones who can stand on the same stage as Jay and not be outshone. They are all true sons of Taiwan and as much as I loved seeing them together, I am sure the fans in the Taipei Arena were even more overwhelmed than me.
Of course I wish I had gone to Taipei for the concerts this round but there was no way I could have, due to commitments at home.
It was great following all the news on Facebook, though, and I am grateful for all my fellow Jay fan friends for their updates and posts which I could then Share on my own Page.

Hmm...following three nights of OPUS JAY was exhilarating but exhausting!
I'm now wondering how I'm going to keep up with NINE shows when Jay starts his round in Hongkong on 13 September.
Whatever the case may be, I'm looking forward to the challenge and to see what else he will have to surprise us there.
Knowing Jay, he will have planned lots of good stuff already.

Can't wait!

My next post will be on the press con after the concert; watch for it!




No comments:

Post a Comment