Wednesday 13 November 2013

DIAOness on Ice: Brooklee Han

This is not a post about Jay per se.


Rather it is about a young lady who represents Australia in figure skating and is working her way towards a spot in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

What brought her to my attention was a post on my News Feed which featured the youtube video of her skating.
It intrigued me as it was on a Page for Jay Chou and I wondered why that was so.
Anyway, I love watching figure skating because it gives me such a great feeling.
It's like watching gymnastics; it's just stuff which you cannot imagine a human can do but somehow these guys and girls are doing it all so effortlessly.

Well, what made this particular vid even more special was that she was skating to the music from Secret (which I absolutely ADORE!) and as I watched, it just seemed so right to see her gliding along so gracefully to the familiar strains of the Secret score.
I am not an expert on skating but I could see that her leaps, twists and landings were self-assured and the movements just blended perfectly with the music and even the commentator said as much when he praised her performance and the music.
I mean....Jay's music is beyond compare and to have Brooklee interpreting it so beautifully just took my breath away. :)

Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_aP_Z2GRw




Wasn't that simply marvellous??


Of course I had to Share this on my Jay Chou Pages and I posted it on both viz The Rooftop: A Jay Chou film and Jay Chou Diaoness.

To cut a long story short, I have since discovered that she is a huge fan of Jay and Secret which is why she chose this music for her long programme, as it was all instrumental and very suitable indeed.
It must be so nice to practise with Jay like that all the time, ya? ;)

Anyway, Brooklee has gone on to win the Volvo championship and is well on course to her Olympic dreams.

http://ridgefield.dailyvoice.com/sports/reddings-brooklee-han-skates-gold-volvo-open-cup

"REDDING, Conn. -- As she continues her quest to skate at the Winter Olympics in Sochi in February, Redding's Brooklee Han earned gold Sunday at the Volvo Open Cup in Latvia. 
Han, who skates for Australia, placed first in both the short and long programs at the international competition in Riga. Her scores were 53.95 points and 97.81 points, for a total of 151.76 points.
She easily topped the skater in second place, longtime British champion Jenna McCorkell, who scored 140.29 points. In third was Juulia Turkkila of Finland at 138.24 points. 
Han, 18, is a 2013 graduate of Joel Barlow High School. It is her first championship gold medal at an International Skating Union event. 
The men's winner at the Volvo Open Cup was Russia's Evgeni Plushenko, an Olympic gold and two-time silver medalist and three-time world champion.
In September, Han finished fifth and scored a personal best total of 147.16 points at the Nebelhorn Trophy competition in Germany to earn a spot for Australia at the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
She is considered the front-runner for the spot to represent Australia in the Olympics. Australia will hold its national championship in December.
In her short program, Han skates to a medley of "Prayer for Taylor" by Michael Smith mixed with "Titanic Symphony" by Richard Clayderman. Her long program is set to the music from the soundtrack of "Secret" by Jay Chou."



I think it is super DIAO that Jay's music was used so wonderfully and I hope he gets to know about this.
I can imagine him saying "Aiyo, bu cuo!" :)

And I'm sure we all wish Brooklee all the very best in the future as she progresses even further along her chosen path.

You go, girl!

1 comment:

  1. Those shapes are just beautiful. For me being a ballet dancer, (don't know much about ice skating) but just enough dance knowledge, she did a marvelous job. Her alone made me gasp numerous times but with Jay's Secret music, it just game me chills all over. That was ridiculously wonderful <3

    ReplyDelete